Thursday, April 11, 2013

Three Pop Culture Icons

Here are three contemporary icons that I have chosen.    The first image is from the Avengers.  This movie began with several other movies staring each of the individual main characters in the movie, each hinting at a team up of all the heroes.  The Avengers were first found in a comic book in the 1960's, which is around the same time that the first story of Spiderman was released, which is the second picture.  There have been several TV shows and movies starring Spiderman, this is the logo from the most recent reboot of the franchise.  The third image is that of a logo from the the most recent Batman movie, The Dark Knight Rises.  The first issue of Batman came out in the 1930's, and has been in many iterations of the character including books, movies, TV shows, and video games, which was one of the highest rated video games in 2011, called Batman: Arkham City.  


These icons are from three of the biggest movies to come out in the last year.  These movies are also based on comic books.  What has been recently coined as "nerd culture" has been on the rise for the last few years.  This is a common term for the culture of people who enjoy comic books, science fiction, or fantasy fiction.
Some of the most popular media is can be categorized under "nerd culture", these movies are proof of that.

I enjoyed each of these movies, as well as much of the "nerd culture" media items.  I have a small collection of comic books, of which I enjoy reading.  Also I play lots of video games, including the ones that are based off of these movies.  I am glad that these are becoming part of the main stream media because it allows me to be entertained by some high quality movies and other media that would have otherwise not been available.







I have this video here because I think it is quite funny, and does somewhat pertain to this topic, it's pretty short, I hope you enjoy it!



No comments:

Post a Comment